You can choose your friends, but you can’t choose your family! There’s a reason this cliche exists, but it doesn’t have to be that way. Going over to the in-laws doesn’t have to be the excruciating experience it is for so many. Listen to today’s episode to learn how to navigate the minefield that is family! Whether it’s getting along with the in-laws or your own family, this is the episode to help you end the family discomfort.
In this episode we discuss relationship advice topics that include:
- The culture shock we experience when interacting with a new family.
- Being supportive for your partner when visiting your own family.
- How to be proactive in cultivating or fixing your relationship with the in-laws or other family members.
- Managing expectations during family visits.
- Steps to offering an olive branch to end old family feuds.
- How to have honest communication about family.
- And much more!
Robert Taibbi has served as adjunct professor at several universities. He provides trainings nationally and internationally in the areas of relationship issues, family therapy, brief therapy and clinical supervision. He has 44 years experience, is the author of 11 books, 300 articles, and is a contributor to PsychologyToday.com.
Sign up for our 14 Day Happy Couples Challenge here: 14 Day Happy Couples Challenge
Do you want to hear more on this topic? Do you have issues with your in-laws? If so, you’re not alone. Continue the conversation on our Facebook Group here: Love Tribe
If you love this episode (and our podcast!), would you mind giving us a review in iTunes? It would mean the world to us and we promise it only takes a minute. Many thanks in advance! – Chase & Sarah